I was thinking

Go down

I was thinking

Post by Morgue on Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 am

Well the deeper I dive into the internet to find new things about BP, and how it's game mechanics work I start to find...interesting things. These things are mainly related to the creation of BP. I put this in the off-topic because it will go into other games as well.

Now I was thinking that a game like Freelancer hasn't really come out in a long time. Except for a few off the wall space games, there hasn't been a noticable space sim one (well none that i've seen since FL), and i'm not talking about pirate galaxy that's just retarted lol. But think about Star Trek online just came out not more than a few weeks ago. Already BP has a game mechanic that mimics STO; the shields...This wasn't my only thought though as it could have been a coincidence or something. But as I looked on, I came across another mimiced mechanic/gameplay function that BP has that another game had. I didn't notice until Mujina pointed it out in a previous most I made. BP has the same pvp scenario as Jump Gate Evolution, the whole attacking the mothership thing.

I can see that you can only go so far with a space sim game, especially with such a large group of people, but how much of a coincidence is it that THREE space sims come out in almost the exact same time? I could just as easily point the finger at STO or JGE for the same reasons, but we all know Reaktorr had that bankruptcy thing awhile back, and after gamigo saved them they could have been hard pressed for ideas and what not. Anyways just a thought. I'm not posting this on the BP forums out of respect for reaktorr and their work. Just seems a little suspicious to me. -shrugs-
Morgue
Director

Black Prophecy Faction : Genides

Back to top Go down

Re: I was thinking

Post by mujina on Fri May 07, 2010 2:46 am

Heh i posted the exact thing about jump gate over on my forums ^^ - It does look like Bp have made it allot better though, the jump gate one sucks. Well I dont mind where they get there ideas from aslong as its fun to play. Also the only noticable space sims which have come out since freelancer is the X series, quite fun but at the same time I found it too be too much like a single player version of eve, as in slightly TOO much depth for a game.
mujina
Social Forum Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bion on Fri May 07, 2010 9:46 am

I am guessing that developers try to incorporate winning elements from other games (or at least, proposed elements that have generated a positive response) and then add innovations of their own. If you come up with a completely novel game then you run the risk of players either loving it or hating, but you don't know which until perhaps too late. Starting from a known winning mix does seem unfortunate since players could have a feeling of deja vu, but then again if we feel comfortable we may stick around longer.

It seems like it would be a real balancing act. But that is the way it goes. Every MMO I have played feels like another MMO or game in some way. That isn't always a bad thing though Smile
Bion
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum