Optimus
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brink Gameplay Videos

3 posters

Go down

Brink Gameplay Videos Empty Brink Gameplay Videos

Post by Bion Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Here are some great gameplay videos for Brink, which looks like it will be a really fun game (especially for those who, like me, were very disappointed by Global Agenda).

Container City Part 1
Container City Part 2
Container City Part 3
Airport Walkthrough
Character/Weapon Creation and Gameplay

Here is a very recent interview about Brink (as in, it came out today):

http://games.on.net/article/10601/Developer_Interview_Brink
Bion
Bion
Director

Black Prophecy Faction : Genides

Back to top Go down

Brink Gameplay Videos Empty Re: Brink Gameplay Videos

Post by Morgue Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:52 pm

Thanks for all the links!

I'm really excieted about this game!
Morgue
Morgue
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnmission Thu Oct 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Spring 2011.. so close and yet so far.

I started in with Splash Damage during my amazing highlight reel in Wolfenstein. I considered Enemy Territory to be a lackluster expanse on the Return To Castle Wolfenstein gameplay. The guns were slower, the movement was clunky, it didn't feel the same to anyone big into RTCW. Though, I honestly cannot argue the impact it made. Enemy Territory is still going today and RTCW has a few players but it isn't what it once was. I will say though, that competitively, RTCW had much more pulse racing moments that had you sitting on the edge of your seat in anticipation. I have yet to play anything close to that level since my time all those years ago.

Quake Wars came out and it was decent.. but it really lacked "umph" that even ET had.

So, while I haven't been a huge fan of Splash Damage in the past, I know that they are a seasoned team and have the ability to make something amazing. I feel that the reason I never really got into the other games was the use of vehicles and pacing issues - and my RTCW team never moved on to anything else. So these would have been more fun with people I knew, no doubt.

Still, I am more than worried about the SMART system. That may make or break the game for me depending on how it feels when I'm actually playing. Honestly taking one of the most challenge aspects out of a FPS game (movement) seems like an automatic fail. Specifically after playing games like Q3 and Urban Terror where trick jumping and speed make all the difference in the world. Yea, sure, aim makes a huge difference too, and general tactical decisions, but in an FPS movement can save you from the grenade about to explode right beside you. You've got to be able to react and adapt quickly - if it's all automated then I can't see this being as great as it could be. However, if they offer a method of manually doing the same kind of movements, like climbing a ledge or sliding under a rail, then I'm all for it. I just have no desire to lose control over my movements to dumb down my actions. I garauntee I've come up with some crazy things that the game's intelligence never thought to try.

I wanted to add some references to the Q3 and Urban Terror movement so you can compare. Keep in mind these movements are all controlled manually. In Q3, rocket jumps and grenade timing make the difference. In Urban Terror you can literally jump off walls and manually slide your character - the control is amazing. Literally you have to hit spacebar on the walls to jump (maximum of 3 wall jumps) and you can create speed by learning the mechanics. So here are some videos:

Q3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2hpaKphOtI&hd=1

Urban Terror: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8SpyOlmTVI

So, as long as they don't destroy the movement or pace, I'm all for it.
Dawnmission
Dawnmission
Optimus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgue Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm

To keep it short, I agree with you DM, altering the movement meathods in an FPS game can make or break it. I'll also be hoping that there will be some type of manual control over this S.M.A.R.T thing they've come up with.

Because lets face it, if all it take is walking up to the damn thing, that's going to cause alot of problems imo. Thanks for the vids and your input! Razz
Morgue
Morgue
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Bion Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:22 pm

Another article that also has links to other articles about Brink:

Brink Diaries
Bion
Bion
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Bion Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:28 pm

Ahhhh RTCW....those were the days...great game!

Yeah the SMART system is definitely got everyone wondering, with good reason. From the videos I have seen and the articles I have read, it seems that the system is simply taking the commands for things like crouch/slide, jump, mantle, etc, and combining them into one key that simply decides what to do based on the context of your movement.

I agree that this may seem like a dumbing down of the system, but if we think of the up side, it means a much more hectic experience where players can attack and be attacked from multiple positions quickly. It certainly makes sniper camping tricky if you know players can get to you in a hurry. I think it might make the game very dynamic, but we will have to see.

Here is an article about Brink and hardcore players:

Brink and Hardcore Players

That article states you can do everything manually if you want Smile
Bion
Bion
Director

Back to top Go down

Post by Dawnmission Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:50 pm

A single button to perform any movement variable doesn't really add much to enemies coming from everywhere. I'll concede that it gives horrible players the ability to get places they'd normally not even know about.. but the better players will likely know these spots after a round or two.

In any event this makes me happy:
There is a bit of a delay. A delay while you’re putting your hands on it, and then coming over it. It’s really not much, a noob player wouldn’t even know. We can call it smooth (the S part of the acronym) because to them it is smooth. To a hardcore player that quarter-to-half-second lost is a life and death situation.

SO TRUE. I've killed groups of enemies in a quarter second amount of time. Of course I didn't want them to remove the feature, I just wanted to know that I could manually control it. So now that I can, it's much more relaxing.

Just a note though: I feel compelled to point out that a ps3 (console) player is talking about hardcore players. Why did Microsoft give up on bringing together servers where 360 players and PC players could play against each other? Because even the bad PC players were dominating console players. Rahul Sood (Voodoo PC CEO turned HP gaming something or another) sums it up rather well: http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/console-gamers-get-killed-against-pc.html. Please disregard the nonsense about the "app machine", no mobile phone game is even close to captivating - a point I destroyed him on once as he said the DS was fighting a losing battle to a supercharged mobile gaming app market. Nonsense.
Dawnmission
Dawnmission
Optimus Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down